Saturday, 25 August 2018

#110459: Tube connecting filters base to vacuum pump

After the last maintenance job as per blog:

I made a very short test drive myself. All felt nice and good but occassionly the gas appeared to be hanging and not moving back to low idle or at least very slowly. I left it and would look into it the next weekend. Once I had lubricated the gas cable all was working smoothly again. The weather did not look great so I made only a very small testdrive. When I parked back inside the garage and opened up the bonnet I was in shock as there was a severe oil leakage visible

 When checking underneath the car there was more spill:

And at the front end of the engine there was a clear sign as well but I couldn't find the culprit:

I immediately checked the oil dipstick and to my relieve it was still almost full. Phew! So likely the oil leakage must have started when I parked it. I checked everything over again but still couldn't find the source and the oil was everywhere making it difficult to trace it back. So the only solution was to start the engine and quickly check. And it became evident very quickly:

When I touched the hose it felt off completely. I was stunned and did not understand how this could have happened.

The oil hose is going to the oil filter and is part of the lubrication system. Since the oil spill hit the alternator belt it was scattered all over the place. Nice.

Question remains, how could this have happened? Although I spotted the new "copper" spacers used on the banjo bolt of this hose connector I only figured he had taken it off for the maintenance and put new spacers on it. I'm sure the engineer would have spotted if the oil hose was poor.

Guess what? When the engineer was doing the maintenance the Original (40 year old) oil hose did snapped off! He had it replaced with a new one (something I was unaware off). So basicly that means a brand new hose did snap off this time. It really looks like it's cut off, definately not torn or bursted (there is hardly any pressure on this hose). My theory was they "clamped" the iron sleeve faulty resulting in a damage of my new hose:

The engineer did had the old hose with the other (replaced) parts put back in the trunk:

At first I figured to order a new complete hose but this part (110459) is not available. I called Kroymans in the Netherlands and they confirmed it's not available and advised to make a new one. I then called Italauto (hoping they might have some old stock) but they also confirmed it's not available. Furthermore they informed me it's not unusual for these hoses to fail. At least they do replace them at a "regular" interval. What!? Excuse me? The Original hose survived almost 40 years in my case. So they also advised me to make a new one.

The engineer offered to make a new one again. I wanted the Original banjo bolts and fitting (instead of shiny new ones) to be used again and supplied him the Original and new (failed) hoses. I also liked the Original hose with the breaded clothing cover. So a new one was made (using breaded clothing) but he also looked into what might have caused the fault. Apparently the thread of the banjo bolt fitting was actually quite sharp and more or less had made the cut in the new soft hose resulting into this specific failure.

In any case, a new one was made:

The old Original hose still had the label of the manufacturer: Pfister - Milano Turin Bologna. I suspect these days they are called: When checking the website I see their red logo AP, which is also visible on the label. So yes, it's them ...

So the new oil hose was connected (remove the oil filter and brake booster):

Started the engine again and presto; no more oil leaking. Driving the car backwards and the spill is still there.

I didn't make any further testdrive since the weather was poor again. But I expect all is fine now.

1 comment: