Wednesday 9 October 2024

Ferrari 400i Automatic in Mexico

This car showed up for sale: 

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=392200659


And it did include the following letter:


So apparently it was newly ordered via Symbol cars in Houston / Ferrari of Houston. I suspect this must have been a grey import into the USA and then sold to a customer in Mexico. The VIN book by Raab mentions for this serial nr only the remark: "EU".  I suspect around 1981 there was no Ferrari dealer in Mexico, so potentially this was the best and most affordable route for someone in Mexico to obtain one? I'm only guessing here.

Furthermore, judging by the reflectors and positioning of the rear bumper, it must have been federalized for the US market at some stage, either when newly registered or later on. Again, I'm only guessing here as I'm not familiair with the process or what happened in the past. Adding this blog just for the records. 

No comments:

Post a Comment