Friday 26 March 2021

Book - The complete Ferrari - a cavalcade of stunning road cars from the 166 to the 512TR

I got notified about this book. A nice book with a good overview and a large section about the 400 series. It's a huge book in size and weight. And fairly affordable as well. When I checked I found a Dutch version available on a marketplace in a town where I live next. So I bought it spontaneously and had collected it the same day. The article does mention an interesting fact I was not aware about, and I citate:

"Because of differences in final drive ratios, the manual was alleged to be slightly slower than the automatic (149 mph/240 kph as against 152 mph/245 kph) at 6500 rpm, but a 1978 road test of an automatic (Sport-Auto, January) showed that the engine had to be run to 6800 rpm to reach the advertised 152 mph. The manual had, at least in the hands of a skilled driver, somewhat quicker acceleration."

How's that, the automatic outperforming the manual. The performance figures between the automatic vs manual are marginal in any case. In fact from 0 to 400 m  (!!!) the manual is 0.1 sec faster. But from 0 to 1000 m the automatic is 0.2 sec faster. See also this blog:

https://erwin400.blogspot.com/2015/02/ferrari-automatic-transmission-part-ii.html






No comments:

Post a Comment