Sunday 29 December 2013

400 maintenance : bonnet struts

One of the maintenance items that required attention was the replacement of the bonnet struts. The previous owner had fixed the issue with a dirty hack, which is a known one: drill a hole and put a pin into it. Cheap and effective - like it. But I preferred to have it rather fixed as it looks more decent.


I didn't expect it would be very difficult to obtain these type/size of struts. But I was wrong. Eventually I found them on Eurospares for only 191,- Euro each, excluding shipping:

Ferrari 400 GT (Coachwork) - SUPPORT Part No. 253-28-550-00
So I figured the currently solution wasn't so bad after all. But luck was on my side as my radar found this company who sells them for 25 GBP only:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc1263-ferrari-400-bonnet-strut

Needless to say I ordered them instantly. I will add this piece of work on my todo maintenance list:




3 comments:

  1. There are companies who can refill tired gas struts. Doesn't work if the dirty fix has been applied of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erwin,
      Thanks for the great blog btw! Did these struts end up working for you? I notice the ends seem a little different. Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. Apologies for the late response, I only noticed the comment by today. Yes, it did work out. If I recall correctly I only had to drill out the hole on one end to make it actually fit. But it's working fine since I had installed these.

      Delete